A Trusted Utah Franchise Attorney
Mr. Thompson is currently practicing law in Salt Lake City, Utah as a founding partner with The Franchise & Business Law Group. For more than 35 years, Mr. Thompson has practiced principally in the areas of franchise, business opportunity, corporate, and related fields of product distribution law. He is an active member of the American Bar Association and the Utah State Bar having served on numerous bar committees. In addition to being a founder of the Utah State Bar Franchise Section, he served as its chairman for a number of years. He is also a past chairman of the annual meeting committee of the Utah State Bar.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Thompson practiced law in the military as an assistant judge advocate in Vietnam. He is a retired major in the United States Army Reserve.
Mr. Thompson has written and lectured in the areas of franchise and business opportunity law at dozens of seminars, continuing legal education courses, business schools and trade associations. He has been published a number of times in Utah publications, and has been one of the preeminent speakers on franchising in the state of Utah. Mr. Thompson is a recognized expert in franchise law by his peers and has made a lasting impact on franchise law both here in Utah and elsewhere. Mr. Thompson also served on the panel of arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association and was an instructor of corporate law at Mountain West College.
Mr. Thompson is admitted and licensed to practice law in Utah.
Mr. Thompson received his Juris Doctor degree from New York University School of Law where he attended as a Root-Tilden- Snow Scholar. He graduated with honors from Utah State University, participating in student government, debate and inter-collegiate athletics. He also attended the University of the Americas in Mexico City, Mexico.
- Multiple year Chair of the Franchise Law Section of the Utah Bar
- Past chairman of the annual meeting committee of the Utah State Bar
In addition, for many years, Mr. Thompson has served on numerous corporate and charitable boards, including the executive committee of the Ballet West Board of Trustees as its executive vice-president. He was also a member of the Parks and Recreation Board for Park City, Utah and served on the Granite Education Foundation Board of Trustees and Salt Lake County’s Zoo Arts & Parks (“ZAP”) Board. Mr. Thompson has also served on a number of political committees at the state and local level.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
A sampling of Mr. Thompson’s speaking engagements and publications include:
- Drafting Distribution and License Agreements, Utah Bar Journal
- Keynote Speaker, 2011 Utah Franchise Symposium
- Annual presenter for the Utah Bar’s Franchise Law Section CLE luncheons
- Presenter and paper, Essentials of Drafting Effective and Compliant Distribution Agreements, Utah State Bar Spring Convention
- Presenter and paper, Franchise and Business Opportunities, Utah State Bar Annual Meeting
- Franchising Fundamentals, Legal Brief, Utah Business Magazine, July 2010
- He has also been asked to be a regular contributor to the Salt Lake Enterprise Magazine on franchise law.
- The Best Lawyers in America, US News and World Report, 19 th Edition
- The National Registry of Who’s Who
- Legal Eagle, Franchise Lawyer magazine
Mr. Thompson and his wife, Kathryn, have eight children and many more grandchildren. Mr. Thompson enjoys traveling, taking his grandkids on adventures, and hiking along the Wasatch Front and is an ardent reader of history and philosophy.